Month: March 2015

Be Well

Dearest Amanda,

Remember this feeling.

Upon your return home, life will resume.  In all of its busy-ness, and automatcicity.  It will be hard for you in those moments to touch this place within where everything is still.  Where everything is whole and perfect just as it is.  You will be wanting more, setting standards and expectations.  You may feel that need to push through-fulfill your requirements and care for your responsibilities.

There may even be moments when you are so caught up in life that you forget to live.  And joy starts leaking out of your soul.  Sometimes slowly.  And sometimes quickly…especially on those days when you are tired, and the day may not look like you thought it would.

Remember this feeling.  Right here, right now.

Know that there will be times of pain.  When your heart is being pulled through your chest.  The tears might come and you may not know why.  Know that there will be an ache in those moments-in your chest.  But it will not crush you.

Know that there will be joy…when your heart is so full that love pours out into everything you do.  Gratitude will come so easily that you will only have to look around.  

Know there will be everything in between.  The moments of nothingness and the sweetest minutes of the day.  The times of presence and awareness and the moments where you are so mechanical that you can’t remember what you’re doing.

Remember this feeling of you.  And this feeling you have in this moment.  Of falling in love with yourself.  The joy that comes with believing that you are exactly where you need to be in any one moment.  The spark that is ignited from experiencing the beauty of this past week…and fanning that flame so it burns even when you feel you can’t.  Let it touch everyone that touches you so that they feel themselves in you as well.

The questions can’t always be answered.  The explanations won’t always fall on welcoming ears.  You will continue to search…and you will continue to find. You will be crippled with fear and release your heart in defeat.  But that’s not the end…it’s the beginning.  Your hands and heart will open again and you will be able to be vulnerable.  You will remember this feeling.

This feeling of such gratitude for this journey that tears will pour down your cheeks with love.

Be well and always fall in love.  Over and over again.

Sure Thing…

My Dharma board created today.  In Sanskrit, Dharma is what keeps the stars from crashing into each other…that which upholds.  There is no real English translation for the word Dharma.   It is your passion, your excitement…your heart’s longing.

So go to bed with a sure thing.

You…in all of your amazing brilliance!  Because even when it’s messy…it may not be pretty.  But it’s yours.  Own it!

“Give yourself permission that where you are is not the end point”~Davidji

Leonard Cohen

Someone had given me a cassette of Leonard Cohen’s music back in high school.  I remember listening to it…and trying so hard to like it.  Although I had been exposed to many different musical styles and genres growing up, I couldn ‘t wrap my head around this one.   

Yet I have always remembered one song that I had listened to because the lyrics have stayed with me all of these years.

And I loved you when our love was blessed, and I love you now there’s nothing left”~Closing Time

It’s interesting how we can latch on to expressions such as words, photographs, or a song and it’s like they become burned onto our souls forever.  I have never enjoyed his music but many of his lyrics have come up as reminders at various times in my life.  He possesses that ability to understand the human spirit and the themes that run as commonalities throughout all of our lives.

Leonard popped into my head again last evening watching the sun set in my Favorite place on earth.

There are cracks in everything-that’s how the light gets in”

Many times I find myself focusing on the cracks…what could be different.  What could be better.  What “shouldn’t” be there and “should” be fixed.  Yet the cracks are the very things opening my heart and allowing the love and gratitude in.  Without those cracks, nothing would be slipping in between illuminating the goodness and the beauty.

Detachment and Bounce Sheets…

Friday~The Law of Detachment

Allow yourself and others the freedom to be who they are.  Do not force solutions-allow solutions to spontaneously emerge.  Uncertainty is essential, and your path to freedom (Deepak Chopra)

Deepak Chopra wrote a book called “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success”.  I read it for the first time several years ago, and now these laws have become the cornerstones of my day.  It’s that grounding piece of wisdom that I anchor in my soul every morning…a framework to make some sense out of my life.

My favourite law is the Law of Detachment.  Ironically, it is the law I struggle with the most-the one I catch myself resisting on a fairly frequent basis. Pema Chodron says “nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know”.

There is a definite need for me to spend more time here in the process of detachment.   The more I try to close down when it comes up, the more confident I am that I have some work to be done here.

Part of my trouble with this law arises when my brain tries to assign that “traditional” definition to the word “detachment”.  I think of a feeling of letting go-which to me always triggers a sense of loss.  From that loss evolves a feeling of sadness…of ending.  When those emotions get evoked, I run for the hills.  Operation Shut Down is initiated and the barricades go up in attempt to squelch any hurt that may come up.

And I remember reading the explanation of that law for the first time.  Do not force solutions?  Well, that goes against essentially everything we’ve been taught from the time we were old enough to be aware of “finding the answers”.  Isn’t life all about getting the answers as quickly and as correctly as possible?  Don’t even get me started on the “uncertainty is essential” sentence.  I recall reading that and thinking “this sounds like the law of sitting back and putting your feet up”.  None of this made sense when I first read it.  I rejected everything about that explanation.

Which really meant that it was where I needed to put my attention.

Over the last few years I’ve done a lot of reading and absorbing about detachment…and have moments where I’ve reached a real sense of peace with it.  Because detachment is about love.  And love I understand.

The turning point for me was this nugget from Deepak Chopra at Seduction of Spirit in 2013.

“Detachment is the highest form of love.  Think about a mother and her infant.  The mother loves that baby from the moment it is conceived.  The mother never looks at the baby and wonder if it loves her back”

The practice of detachment is the ultimate act of surrender.  Your ego moves completely out of the way and you are acting from a place of pure love and trust in the Universe.  You believe wholeheartedly that the Universe is on your side and you allow whatever is going to happen…happen.

The freedom comes from truly understanding that you don’t have to come up with the answers.  You’re fully engaged in practicing acceptance and non-judgement here while simultaneously understanding that you also need to step out of the way.  It’s the understanding that, contrary to what your ego believes, not one of us really has any control over this ride anyway.  That’s the kicker-and what’s been my Mount Everest.

And I continue to work with this every Friday (it inevitably comes up at other times through the week too as all of the seven laws do).  I reflect on what’s happening here and now for me…the relationships I have, the intentions I have set and the work that I do-both professionally and otherwise.  I *try* to be mindful of when I’m getting too caught up in thinking about how things “should” be rather than just accepting that this is how they are.  This is not to say that I do sit back and put my feet up.  It’s simply to say that I do the best that I can in everything I do in any given minute.  Understanding and reminding myself too that others are always doing their best in their moment (although, sometimes I have to repeat that like a mantra because I still shake my head at some things).

Looking at detachment through that lens of love, is a really quick way to strip that ego back and soften the “stepping back” action.

“Detachment is not an absence of interest.  It is ABSOLUTE interest, but still with the capacity of non-clinging.  Enjoy the moment while it is there and, when the moment starts disappearing, as everything is bound to disappear, let it go.  That is detachment~Osho”

So think of detachment as your emotional Bounce sheet.  Helps eliminate pesky emotional static cling.