Month: September 2015

38 Things I’ve Learned So Far…

I will turn 39 tomorrow.  I have to be honest and say that I really enjoy having birthdays.  As a child it was always about the gifts-and loot bags post party.  As I got older it became more about celebrating-enjoying my friends and my family.  My last few birthdays have become far more of a reflective time for me.  I have never been one for New Year’s resolutions and goals but birthdays have always held a sacred spot in my heart.  

As this one was approaching, I realized that I have accumulated a lot of information since 1976.  For me, it’s always important to peruse my mental library of life lessons from time to time.  If not for any other reason, but to look at where I started and enjoy how far I’ve come.

And to remember that life events happen so we can learn from them.

So I sat down and made a list.  They are in no order and they are not edited.  They are the first things that popped up when I thought that I must have learned at least one lesson for each year lived.  Some may be variations of familiar lessons we all have heard…some are distinctly based on my personal experience.  They are points I remind myself of as much as I can.

To me, they are my top 38 at this very point in my life.  

1. Pepsi tastes best out of a glass bottle over ice.
  2. One decision CAN change your life…no matter how insignificant you THINK it might be at the time.  Don’t underestimate that!
  3. Self love is a tough concept to grasp.  Accepting what is and wanting a little more peace inside might be an easier way to look at it.
  4. You are never done evolving.  There is no end product.
  5. It doesn’t matter how you got here.  It only matters that you’re here.
  6. Missing someone means you love them.  This is a good thing.
  7. The power of touch is incredible.  It heals when words can’t.
  8. There is a magical time between sunset and sunrise where the moon and sun coexist.  Absolute stillness.
  9. People just want to know that they are being listened to and they matter.
  10. Sometimes things hurt.  Badly.  Don’t fight it.
  11. Spending time in the bathtub is invaluable.
  12. Things don’t and won’t always happen the way YOU think they should.  Trust that there is a reason and accept you may never understand it.
  13. There are moments you will be blown away by life.  Know you are supposed to learn something there.
  14. Everyone has been hurt.  This is the thread that connects us as humans.
  15. Pie is the best dessert there is.
  16. You will know love when you see it.  Nothing will be impossible.
  17. Never throw out instructions or extra parts.
  18. You can’t look for love.  Love always finds you.
  19. Take every opportunity that feels right for you.
  20. There will be moments that you will be on automatic.  There will be moments you will feel so aware and alive the sweetness of life will bring tears.  Swing between these two…this is living.
  21. The best way to love someone is to listen to them.
  22. Becoming a parent doesn’t mean you lose who you are.  Keep your passions high on your priority list.
  23. You don’t have to DO anything to be loved.  You exist…that’s reason enough.
  24. As much as I love reading, writing and talking, sometimes there are no words in some moments.
  25. The guy who broke your heart 20 years ago will NOT be the last guy to love you.  He didn’t love you in the first place.  So, even though things hurt in the moment, they won’t always be so painful.
  26. Coffee is a gift.  Drink slowly.
  27. Never shut down your heart.  Even if the urge is strong.  It doesn’t need to be protected.  It is strong and beats without you even thinking about it.  It won’t break.
  28. Bad things happen for no reason.
  29. The best things happen for no reason.
  30. Chocolate will often make things tolerable.
  31. Measure often and cut once.  Patience.
  32. No one really cares about how you look.  They aren’t paying attention like you think they are and IF they are they care too much to think you are anything but the wonderful thing you are.
  33. Sometimes you do need to put your hand on the stove to see if it’s hot.
  34. The most teachable moments come during your greatest chaos.  Look for the lesson.
  35. Your brain can be wrong.  Your heart never is.
  36. You will know love when nothing feels right without that person beside you.
  37. Your friends will get you through even when you think you can’t.  Those are the times they will drag you along if they have to.
  38. The Universe is always protecting you.  There will be many moments you won’t believe that though.  Then you will have that one moment that you see so clearly.  It’s all happening for a reason.  Trust.

Photo credit goes to davidji.  I love this capture because David Simon is photobombing me from the wall.